The white sheet relaxes our brain most
The reason why it can be important to learn how to get yellowed sheets white again is not only the beauty of your linen. However, it is obvious that it can be quite repulsive to look at the linen which has got yellow tone.
The fact is that people relax more when they see in front of the light colors because the brain gets less information.
So, let’s start! Just imagine how you will lie on the bed with perfectly white linen which smells of fresh cloth.
White is easy to be not white (and why)
No matter if you need to learn how to get yellowed sheets white again when it has been a result of wear and age, or you want to get rid of a stain with the help of whitening, the following ingredients will suit you.
If you’re a lover of white linen, you could notice that practically every linen you bought has become slightly yellow after some time regardless of the quality of the linen was low or high.
Unfortunately, you can’t prevent this process completely.
Actually, the process of linen’s yellowing is natural and doesn’t point to the low quality of the good. The process is caused by the wear of the cloth and by absorption of your body substances.
During the time when you sleep or just lie on white bed sheets, your body passes the sheets such things as sweat, dead skin, and body oils.
Ingredients we can use to whiten our yellowed sheets
The first thought that comes to your mind when you wonder how to get yellowed sheets white again is of course a bleach. However, not everything is so easy.
Unfortunately, a bleacher won’t suit whitening yellow bed sheets because it has chlorine in its chemical composition.
It reacts to protein which your body substances (body oils, sweat, and so on) include.
The reaction makes the cloth tougher. There are many effective natural alternatives. Moreover, some of them can be easily found at your home.
So, here’s a list of natural ingredients for whitening yellow sheets:
This multifunctional means will be powerful in relation to both widespread stains and the yellowing of a white bed sheet.
- White vinegar.
The ingredient can be used for pre-soaking both with the other kinds and ingredients for whitening and as an independent variant.
- Lemon juice.
Take into account that if you use this ingredient, your linen will smell of citrus. However, it shouldn’t be pungent and nasty, just fresh. Also, don’t forget about the allergy to citrus if household or you have it. There’s even an opinion that the acid that lemon juice includes kill bacteria and mites.
- Liquid bluing.
The principle of the ingredient’s influence is the same as in the case with bluing a photo: it gets a colder and whiter tint. Blue color resists yellow one and we get the result.
Steps how to get yellowed sheets white again
Now, when you know what ingredients you may need, it is necessary to clear the plan itself. We have to split the process of whitening yellowed sheets into a few steps for more convenience.
Pre-soak the sheets
- Keep the linen in warm water diluted with 0.5 cups of white vinegar for about an hour, one more option in step 2;
- Leave the linen for a night in cold water diluted with white vinegar as well;
- In hard cases or just for an even stronger effect, it is possible to add a laundry booster to the mentioned mixture.
Wash for 1st cycle
When you start, put 0.5 cups of baking soda and a detergent. Then, before you rinse, add 0.5 cups of white vinegar or lemon juice. White vinegar and lemon juice will work not only as whiteners but also as natural softeners, so you can refuse fabric softener.
Wash for 2nd cycle
In case some smell or buildup of the detergent appears, you have to proceed with the 2nd cycle of the laundry at once. Here there’s no need for any kind of detergents, rinse the cloth with just water.
Sundry if you can
If you live in a house, it would be great to dry the linen in the sun. First, the sunlight has a whitening effect. Second, it doesn’t leave stains on the cloth, unlike the dryer. Besides, drying clothes in the sun is absolutely free, so there are no minuses in this method.
What if you know that the reason for yellowing is sweat? How to remove sweat stains from sheets or how to remove sweat stains from pillowcases? Sweat is a specific substance, so you need to use a concrete method.
Use a detergent which fights with fat, e.g. Dawn, soap the cloth with the detergent and soak it in the solution for about an hour rubbing it from time to time.
Some other small tips you should not miss when whitening sheets.
- More probably that you know it, but there’s still should be a reminder. Never wash white-colored clothes with any other colored ones.
- White linen has to be washed quite often, approximately every week, or maybe 4-5 days apart if it’s not too hard for you.
- In case you’re one of those who sweat much while sleeping, you can try to get colder before you go to bed. For example, you can keep the window slightly open at night but account for everything right not to catch a cold.
- In order to protect the white sheet, another piece of cloth can be used, a smaller white sheet or some pad.
What you should avoid keeping the sheets white
Although the process of cloth yellowing is natural, there are still some lifehacks on how to prevent the process from happening too fast and intensively, so you won’t need to find methods how to get yellowed sheets white again.
- Avoid eating juicy food on the bed. If you can’t refuse of eating breakfast on the bed, you can cover it with some cloth which is not a pity to get dirty.
- Take off your makeup before you go to bed. This piece of advice is caused not only by the fact you get the linen dirty, some of cosmetics actually include oils that are not easy or even impossible to wash out.
- If you get stains, after all, you should take off the linen and wash it. Stains are washed out worse if they are left for a longer time than it is acceptable.
- You may need to wash your washing machine from time to time. Some dust and minerals accumulate in it and influence your linen and other clothes to get dirty.
That is all! We wish you got all the information on how to bleach white sheets and how to remove the stains from them.