Do you have kitchen cabinets that accomplish their function well and don’t have serious flaws, but the paint has lost its freshness?
Then this article is just for you. Here you will learn the answer to the question “How much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets?” and to many other questions related to the topic.
There’s a list of pluses you get after kitchen cabinet painting in case you still doubt whether you need it or not:
- Your kitchen will get a much fresher appearance.
- The cost of the kitchen transformation is quite low compared to buying new furniture.
- The kitchen looks more expensive.
- The term of accomplishing the kitchen cabinet painting process is short: less than 7 days.
So, let’s not drag out and come straight to the point!
- 1 Kitchen cabinets types
- 2 How to measure kitchen cabinets?
- 3 Costs to paint kitchen cabinets
- 3.1 Costs depending on the method of dimension of the amount of work
- 3.2 Costs of cabinet doors depending on their size and location
- 3.3 Cost of labor
- 3.4 Cost of repainting kitchen cabinets
- 3.5 Cost of preparation for cabinet painting
- 3.6 Cost of glazing kitchen cabinets
- 3.7 Factors influencing cabinet painters pricing
- 3.8 What is the difference between spray and roll technique?
- 3.9 Paint costs
- 3.10 Paint types
- 3.11 Painting kitchen cabinets
- 3.12 Paint colors for kitchen cabinets
- 3.13 How much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets with your DIY
- 4 How much time do you need to paint kitchen cabinets?
- 5 Other options besides painting
Kitchen cabinets types
Before you learn how much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets, you have to understand different subtleties of the process. Kitchen cabinets are divided into types by the material they are made of:
Maple refers to a close-grained kind of wood. That’s why it is easier to paint cabinets of this type. Moreover, they are cheaper to paint than oak cabinets and you will get an even surface
These are cabinets having coarse-grained wood and consequently more expensive to paint.
Antique Kitchen Cabinets
Depending on the look you want to create, staining kitchen cabinets can be an inexpensive option for creating an antique look. Think about antique white kitchen cabinets.
How to measure kitchen cabinets?
To learn the cost to paint kitchen cabinets, first of all, you need to measure your kitchen cabinets. We suggest you use the following method to do it. Measure only the facial surface of the cabinets which consists of the door and the drawer faces.
To get the necessary dimensions, multiply the height by the length (it is the distance between the left and the right sides). As a result, you get the square footage of the cabinets’ surface. The advantage of this method is the act that you consider not only the length of kitchen cabinets, but also the height.
However, if you’re going to use the services of a professional painter who applies a different method of measuring, you need to know it as well.
The commonly used one is the method including measuring linear feet. It assumes that you measure all the sides differing from each other and add them.
Professional painters also use such methods for measuring the amount of paint job: per drawer, per door, per cabinet.
Costs to paint kitchen cabinets
As you understand, different kitchen cabinet painters require different prices. However, I can say the average prices in the market.
If you need to learn the cost to paint kitchen cabinets only very roughly, here it is. We will take a kitchen that can be met the most commonly. It is the kitchen with a square footage of kitchen cabinets of 120-150 square feet. The material of the kitchen cabinets in oak.
The cost to paint kitchen cabinets in such a kitchen varies from $3,000 to $5,000 ($2,000-$4,000 for maple cabinets).
If you don’t want to dive into details much, there are average costs in the market today.
The average cost to paint kitchen cabinets ranges from $900 to $3,800.
The minimum cost for cabinet painting is $400 the maximum cost achieves $8,000.
The cost of painting kitchen cabinets per square foot by professional painters equals $3-$10, which is from $50 to $100 for 1 door. This number includes all the cabinet painting costs needed (of labor, materials, instruments, and so on).
Costs depending on the method of dimension of the amount of work
There’s a table showing the costs to paint cabinets according to different methods of measuring the amount of paint job:
- Per Square Foot: $3 – $10
- Per Linear Foot: $30 – $60
- Per Drawer: $20 – $30
- Per Door: $50 – $100
- Per Cabinet: $120 – $170
For this moment, the most widespread method is to measure the amount of work by the number of kitchen cabinet doors considering the size of the door.
Costs of cabinet doors depending on their size and location
As you see, the cost for 1 cabinet door is based on both the size and the cabinet layout. Besides, you can also see in the table costs for 2 cabinet doors.
- 12″ Lower Cabinet (1 Door): $50 – $80
- 24″ Lower Cabinet (1 or 2 Doors): $110 – $130
- 30″ Upper Cabinet (1 or 2 Doors): $120 – $150
- 30″ Basin Sink Cabinet (1 or 2 Doors): $130 – $170
- 48″ Lower Cabinet (2 Large Doors): $220 – $260
Cost of labor
Some painting contractors measure not the amount of the surface area it is necessary to paint, but the amount of time it is necessary to spend on the work. In this case, you should consider that the average cost per hour ranges from $20 to $50, it is $200 to $500 per day.
Cost of repainting kitchen cabinets
The average cost to repaint cabinets is absolutely the same as to paint cabinets. It equals from $900 to $3800. However, here need to take into account the preparation needed. It can increase the cost.
Cost of preparation for cabinet painting
Saying “preparation” we mean sanding down cabinets, paint stripping, and using putty. All this work can result in adding from $2 to $3 per square foot to the cost you pay. The cost of preparation depends on the amount of work and degree of destruction of the cabinets.
Cost of glazing kitchen cabinets
The average cost of glazing kitchen cabinets equals $10-$25 per square foot which is $2,000-$5,000 if we take a kitchen of the middle size of 200 square feet. When glazing you apply a semi-transparent coating on the surface and as a result, it becomes deeper, smoother, and gets an older look.
Factors influencing cabinet painters pricing
There’s a list of factors that depend on a professional painter exceptionally:
- Experience of the cabinet painter.
- Quality of the paint and instruments.
- The reputation of the painter.
- Demand on the painter’s services.
- Method of measuring the amount of work.
There’s a list of factors that depend on your kitchen cabinets:
- The size of the kitchen cabinets painting square.
- The wood type of the kitchen cabinets.
- Does the kitchen island have to differ by color?
- Is there a necessity to apply grain filler? (Grain filler is a special substance that allows to even the surface of the wood and to make wood grain look less noticeable).
- These are lower or upper cabinets.
- Preparation needed.
- State of the cabinets.
- What season it is.
What is the difference between spray and roll technique?
Professional painters usually apply spray painting techniques for painting kitchen cabinets. Let’s figure out the difference between rolling and spraying cabinets.
The principles of the work of spray painting are the following. To spray paint kitchen cabinets, you press the button on the spray gun and it disperses the paint it contains evenly. This way, the paint lies on the surface of cabinet boxes, drawers and doors not forming any drips or paint stains that appear when applying the roll technique.
This technique is faster than the roll one.
The rolling paint technique in turn on the contrary is based on spreading the paint by paintbrush which leads to stains and drips. However, the advantage of the roll technique is that it is possible to get a thick layer of paint.
That’s why it suits for covering existing dark color. It is possible to coat small areas such as corners because the area of the painting is limited by the brush. You can also paint hard-to-reach zones. Besides, painting with a paintbrush is perfect for small kitchens.
But what about the difference in price? To rent a spray gun costs $40-$100 per day.
There are extremely different paintbrushes. Which one should you choose? We recommend you to take a flat brush 3-4″ in width for painting cabinets surfaces and an angled brush 2.5-3″ in width for painting corners and for hard-to-reach zones.
To learn the cost to paint your kitchen cabinets, after you learn the dimensions of the cabinets, you need to get information about the cost and the amount of paint.
To understand how much paint you need for your kitchen cabinet painting project, you should know the amount of paint necessary to cover a certain square footage. So, 300 to 400 square feet can be covered by 1 gallon of paint. Knowing all that you finally are able to count how many gallons of paint are needed.
For those who want to know approximate costs of paint, here’s a table showing correspondence between the size of a kitchen, the necessary amount of gallons of paint, and the cost of paint:
- Small / 1 / $20 – $50
- Average / 1 – 2 / $20 – $100
- Large / 2 – 3 / $40 – $150
If you wish to get an extremely cool and high-quality result, maybe you should pick paint made for cabinets exceptionally. The qualities that a paint you will choose should have are smoothness and solidity: since the kitchen is a facility frequently used for potentially harmful furniture activities, cabinets covering has to be firm and reliable.
There are a few more moments to consider.
- Don’t buy 2-in-1 paint and primer products: these things sticking to the surface is low as well as thickness.
- Remember to buy primer. It plays an important function; it supports sticking paint to the surface of cabinets.
- When picking paint, don’t save money a lot at the cost of paint quality. A high-quality paint provides smoothness of the surface, doesn’t allow the previous layers to shine through, and gives cabinets a more expensive look in general. As for high-quality lacquer paint, it also dries quicker.
If you want to get cabinets with sheen, pay attention to the packaging: there should be a note saying that the paint is semigloss, gloss, or satin. Paint with a satin finish is the most frequent choice. The plus of this finish is the absence of dirt that could be noticed on the surface of the painted kitchen cabinets.
Painting kitchen cabinets
The process is quite easy and you could know it, however, it is better to check this list so as not to forget to do anything important. Before you start painting, learn how to clean sticky wood kitchen cabinets.
- First, you need to take out all the content of the kitchen cabinets and all the parts that interfere with painting and can be removed: drawers, doors, handles, and hinges. It is possible not to remove doors if you’re sure that it will be convenient to paint with their presence.
- Apply duct tape to adjacent surfaces and cover the floor with some newspapers or other needless papers, clean the cabinets with a degreaser.
- Then you have to handle the surface of the cabinets by sanding them down and applying paint stripper. If the cabinets are quite new, you can manage without sanding, but it supports adherence of the paint to the surface. If the kitchen cabinets are covered with PVC film, you can take them off by heating them. Use a hairdryer for this purpose. Take into account that there will be a sharp odor if you decide to apply this method. So, in this case, it is better to go outside. Use a
- Cover the cabinets with primer to even the surface more and to make the paint stick better.
- Finally, you can go to the painting itself. Coat the cabinets with 1 coat of paint.
- Leave painted kitchen cabinets to dry.
- Coat the cabinets with 1 more fresh coat.
- Wait until the paint is dry again.
- Reattach the details you removed: the doors, the hinges, and the drawers.
Paint colors for kitchen cabinets
If you want to know what the most frequent paint color for kitchen cabinets is, the answer is simple. The popular option contains classic white and grey colors. White is a basic color filling the room with plenty of light and paring with any color perfectly.
Grey is usually painted on lower cabinets, it adds some feature to the interior.
In general, people prefer to use calm shades for painting cabinets.
There are some frequent options:
- White. As you know, white is a classic color that can be applied practically everywhere. Its neutrality and pureness create a great field for your imagination and taste.
- Blue. Depending on the shade of blue, kitchen cabinets painted in blue a fresh and lively kitchen if you choose a colorful and not really dark shade, or a rich and impressive kitchen if you choose a deep dark color.
- Greige. Greige is a color mixture of beige and grey. Adding beige to grey makes it calm and warm. It is quite fashionable nowadays and can be paired with almost every color well.
How much does it cost to paint kitchen cabinets with your DIY
It is much easier to learn the average cost of a DIY project, everything you need to know is the costs of the paint and the tools you’re going to apply.
Here’s the price list for DIY projects:
- Paint: $20 – $70 per gallon
- Primer: $35 – $50 per gallon
- Sprayer: $40 – $100 per day
- Brushes: $10.48
- Paint Roller Kit: $8.97
- Patching Compound: $8.78 (3.5 pounds)
- Scraper: $6.75
- Masking Tape: $5.93
- Sandpaper: $2.50
- Drop Cloth: $1.98
So, if the cost of painting cabinets is important to factor for you when choosing the way of painting, compare the approximate numbers you get both for hiring a professional painter and DIY cost. It is possible that you get a bigger total cost for the DIY method.
watch the video:
Picking between the DIY painting method and hiring painting contractors, consider not only the cost but also the amount of time you spend, the quality of work you get, and the durability of the coating.
If you pick to paint cabinets yourself, there’s also an option to buy a paint kit that contains all the necessary tools, paint, and a guide. The price of such a kit varies from $50 to $100.
In case the most important factor for you is the simplicity and speed of the process, you can paint the kitchen cabinets with a spray gun painting method. From the price list you can see that its rental costs $40 – $100 per day.
How much time do you need to paint kitchen cabinets?
In the case of a small or middle-sized kitchen, it takes approximately 3 days to paint kitchen cabinets. If you paint a big kitchen, you will spend 3-7 days painting cabinets. However, this estimate doesn’t include the time for the preparation needed.
If you have to do serious work on that, consider a little bit more amount of working hours.
Consider that 1 day doesn’t mean just a few hours. It consists of about 8-10 hours.
Other options besides painting
Let’s compare costs for painting cabinets and for other options.
- Refinish kitchen cabinets – $1,300 to $2,800.
To refinish cabinets means to delete old paint, sand down the surface, and paint cabinets again.
- Reface kitchen cabinets – $4,200 to $8,100.
The method includes the use of laminate, veneers, or solid planks for the creation of new surfaces of cabinets.
- Replace kitchen cabinets – $3,200 to $8,500.
The most expensive option is to switch kitchen cabinets to new ones.
That was all!
We hope the article was useful for you.
We wish you good luck in painting kitchen cabinets!